Turkey is among the few countries that come to mind when it comes to textiles worldwide. It has been one of the brand countries in home textiles for many years. The use of quality raw materials is the primary reason for the success of the textile industry in Turkey. Quality wool and fabrics provide affluent production areas. At the same time, the Turkish textile industry has a qualified workforce due to its advanced educational opportunities.
Most of the modern and traditional home textile production facilities are in Western Anatolia and Central Anatolia. Many details, from raw materials to production techniques, from machinery to workforce, are entirely domestic. Turkey is not limited to the domestic market only. It is one of the strongest players in home textiles worldwide.
The production figures of the Turkish home textile industry on the basis of products are as follows;
- There is a total production of 2.3 billion dollars, including domestic and foreign market shares, in bath linen products such as towels and bathrobes.
- Towel and bathrobe-like bed linens and other bedroom textile products have a domestic and international market share of 2.6 billion dollars.
- The total of domestic and foreign market shares in curtain fabric and curtain exceeds 1.5 billion dollars.
- Blankets, tablecloths and handcrafted textile products have a total production share of 1.1 billion dollars.
- Import products cover about 30% of the domestic and foreign trade share of 13 billion dollars.
Capacity of the Home Textile Industry in Turkey
According to official records, the home textile industry in Turkey employs over 500,000 people. In addition, more than 3,000 facilities in the country continue to produce without interruption. For example;
- In our country, only curtain production capacity is 300,000 tons per year.
- Europe’s highest capacity duvet cover factory is located in Turkey.
- In the towel and bathrobe group, Turkey is among the top 3 suppliers of the world.
Quality is the main reason why the home textile industry in Turkey has a well-deserved reputation worldwide. Turkey is among the countries that produce the best quality silks and kinds of cotton in the world. On the other hand, it maintains the quality of the raw material in production techniques and craft. Thus, excellent product options emerge.
Especially in the United States, Denizli towels and bathrobes are considered the “prestige product” and “luxury product” categories in home textiles. As a result of the R&D investments and the importance given to design, Turkey is not only in the domestic market, especially in bedding; It has textile brands that have leadership worldwide.
It is possible to see towels, bathrobes, curtains and textiles bearing the phrase “Made in Turkey” at many points, from the world’s most famous hotels to restaurants.
Home textile industry in Turkey exports products such as towels, curtains, bed linen, blankets and carpets. Turkey sends dozens of product groups in the field of home textiles to European Union countries, the United States and many other countries. Home textiles also constitute approximately 16% of total exports. And thus, it is one of the most critical sectors in terms of the country’s exports.
Export Figures by Product
Towels and bathrobes are the top exported home textile products. Towels and bathrobes constitute 41% of the home textile products that go abroad from Turkey. Next, bed linen with a 25% export rate is followed by curtain models with a 6% share. The remaining 28% shared in similar amounts among other home textile products.
Home Textile Industry in Turkey Market Share in the World
The most important advantage of buying home textile products from the Turkish market is easy to access affordable but high-quality options. Besides, affordable quality raw materials used. In addition, thanks to different textile materials such as silk and wool, there are dozens of various product groups related to home textiles. These reasons increase Turkey’s market share.